If you submitted your own CSR during certificate enrollment, you may need to convert you personal authentication certificate to PFX before you can install it. There are a few methods we can recommend to complete PFX conversion.
What You'll Need
- Your certificate in CRT format (download from your order dashboard
- Your private key saved with .key extension
- Intermediate certificate (optional)
Note: You should have your private key saved on your system. We do not have a copy of your private key. If you cannot find your private key, you may need to start over with a new CSR.
If you need the intermediate chain certificate, please download from Sectigo here:
Option 1: OpenSSL Command Line
If you used OpenSSL to create your CSR, you can use the following commands to convert your personal authentication certificate to PFX.
Convert PEM to PFX
openssl pkcs12 -export -out certificate.pfx -inkey privateKey.key -in certificate.crt -certfile CACert.crt
Make sure that "privatekey.key" is your private key, "certificate.crt" is the certificate downloaded from the browser, and "CAcert.crt" is the intermediate certificate downloaded from Sectigo.
Option 2: SSLShopper Certificate Converter Tool
SSLShopper offers a convenient certificate converter tool that will combine your certificate, private key, and chain certificate to create your PFX file.
Certificate Conversion Options
- Certificate File to Convert: click Choose File and upload your email certificate CRT file.
- Type of Current Certificate: select Standard PEM (may be detected automatically)
- Type to Convert To: select PFX/PKCS#12.
- More options will appear as follows.
- Private Key File: click Choose File and upload your private key with extension .key
- Chain Certificate File (Optional): click Choose File and upload the Sectigo Intermediate certificate
- You do not need to upload a Chain Certificate File 2.
- Under PFX Password, create a new password for the certificate file. You will need to enter this password when you install the certificate.
- Click Convert Certificate to download your PFX file.
If any error occurs, there may be an issue with one of the uploaded files. Make sure your private key matches the certificate using the SSL Shopper Key Matcher tool.