SSL Installation Instructions
The following instructions will guide you through the SSL installation process on Amazon Web Services (AWS). If you have more than one server or device, you will need to install the certificate on each server or device you need to secure. If you still have not generated your certificate and completed the validation process, reference our CSR Generation Instructions and disregard the steps below.
Because Amazon Web Services involves a variety of web hosting services, we highly recommend consulting Amazon's documentation to fully understand generating/uploading/configuring SSL. Because every AWS users takes advantage of different services and configuration, there will be no one size fits all solution.
- Make sure you have all the following files saved before proceeding:
- Your Server Certificate - This is the certificate you received from the CA for your domain. You may have been sent this via email. If not, you can download it by visiting your Account Dashboard and clicking on your order.
- Intermediate Certificates - These files allow the devices connecting to your server to identify the issuing CA. There may be more than one of these certificates. If you got your certificate in a ZIP folder, it should also contain the Intermediate certificate(s), which is sometimes referred to as a CA Bundle. If not, download the appropriate CA Bundle for your certificate.
- Your Private Key - This file should be on your server, or in your possession if you generated your CSR from a free generator tool. On certain platforms, such as Microsoft IIS, the private key is not immediately visible to you but the server is keeping track of it.
- Enter the following command to convert the server certificate format to PEM:
openssl x509 -inform PEM -in my-certificate
- Enter the following command to convert the certificate chain:
openssl x509 -inform PEM -in my-certificate-chain
- Enter the following upload-server-certificate command in your AWS account:
aws iam upload-server-certificate –server-certificate-name my-server-cert –certificate-body file://my-server-certificate.pem –private-key file://my-private-key.pem –certificate-chain file://my-certificate-chain.pem
Note: If any errors occur, eference your AWS documentation.
- Configure an HTTPS Listener for Your Classic Load Balancer
Congratulations! You've successfully installed your SSL certificate! To check your work, visit the website in your browser at https://yourdomain.tld and view the certificate/site information to see if HTTPS/SSL is working properly. Remember, you may need to restart your server for changes to take effect.
To check your server's configurations more thoroughly, use our SSL Checker Tool or contact our Customer Experience Department for additional assistance.
Link to http://docs.aws.amazon.com/cli/latest/reference/iam/upload-server-certificate.html