How to Download & Export Certificates from Firefox
After validation is finished, the issuing Certificate Authority (CA) will send the certificate via email to the certificate requester. Using Firefox as your browser and the same PC which generated the order, follow the "pick-up" or "collection" link in the email and initiate the downloading process. The in-browser script will automatically pull the previously stored private key from the browser's file system and install it in your Certificate Manager folder.
Now, to receive the actual certificate, you must export the certificate and private key and save it to your PC/desktop as a PFX (.p12) file. Follow the detailed instructions below to navigate through the export process in Firefox
Note: This article also applies to e-mail signing certificates.
- Open Firefox
- Click the icon to Open Menu, then click Options
On Mac, Options is called Preferences.
- Select the Privacy & Security tab
- Scroll down to the Certificates section and select View Certificates
- Click Your Certificates tab and select your Certificate Name
- Click Backup and select OK
- Name your certificate and save it as a PKCS12 (.p12 or .pfx)file
- Enter your Certificate backup password and click OK
- Click OK and you've successfully backed up your certificate and private key(s).
Now you can locate the file on your system to import into your client.